Over the last number of years, I have bought and sold many cars, either in a complete form or parted them to pay for the 1929 Ford hot rod project. One of these cars was a 1991 Ford Mustang. I sold many parts from this car, kept several, including the headlights with the intention of converting the old Model A Ford headlights to halogen lighting. These sat around in the shop for a couple of years before I actually got around to this. Now that I am very close to having the 1929 Ford hot rod on the road, headlights are important.
The first step in my conversion process was to cut out the section that was used to contain and hold the halogen light bulbs. I used air cut off saw for this. Of course the friction from the cut off wheel created a bit of heat in the plastic head lamp housing resulting in the plastic to melt around the cut. This was not a problem for me, as I was intending to mount this roughed out bulb socket from the head lamp into my metal lathe and round it up. I suppose you could use the drill press and a two inch hole saw for this provided you had a safe way to hold the head lamp housing securely while drilling.
With the socket removed and turned round on the lathe, place the socket on the Model A Ford head light reflector. Using a pencil trace the socket outline. The Model A Ford headlight reflectors that came with my vintage headlight, were not in great shape. These were perfect for my experiment. One reflector was all dented and the other had no silver on it. This conversion will be the proto type for a much better set of reflectors later on.
Before I could enlarge the hole in the Model A Ford reflectors, the original headlight sockets needed to be removed. Using a pair of pliers, the sockets twisted off without any problems. The die grinder fitted with a variety to burrs. The socket hole was enlarged to the required diameter. To finish this step off, a larger grinding wheel in the die grinder was used to perfect the shape and diameter. I did notice that one of the Model A Ford reflectors had very brittle metal causing larger pieces to be torn away rather that ground away. This was a bit hair raising. The other reflector was easy to enlarge and did not have the same problem. I’m not sure why this happened as both reflectors were made of brass?
The modified 1991 Ford Mustang headlight sockets were then attached to the Model A Ford reflectors using only two #6 by 32, half inches screws.
In order for the halogen light bulbs to fit inside the vintage Ford headlights, the back side of the halogen bulb needed to be trimmed. The rear plastic portion of the bulb shielding the electrical terminal /plug needed to be trimmed even with the electrical terminals on the bulb. This is also necessary to allow soldering of wires to the terminals. With the terminals exposed, they now needed to be bent back 90 degrees. The original wiring plugs for the halogen light bulb was 16 awg, so I soldered new 16 awg wires to the halogen light bulb terminals. The wires are about 12 inches long. A plug will be made later on to attach the headlights to the hot rod.
Five minute epoxy was use to seal the terminals and the newly soldered wire connections on the bulb.
As an in term measure, I decided to paint the Model A Ford reflectors with a high heat silver paint that had decent reflective properties. These newly modified reflectors using halogen bulb will do till I replace the reflectors later on. As luck would have it, I found in the workshop two identical stainless steel mixing bowls that would make perfect reflectors in the Model A Ford headlights. As a future post, I will have a video, showing the entire process of making new headlight reflectors using parts from an old Ford Explorer and the stainless steel mixing bowls. Both of these conversions will only cost me my time and no out of pocket expense. I do intend to sell the first set I converted in the next while. These would be perfect for a daily driver or rat rod.