A Corvette engine for the 1929 Model “A” Ford Roadster Hot Rod
My intention was not only to use as much of the 1986 Corvette Indy Pace car suspension as possible in my hot rod design, but also to include as many of other parts as possible. The engine seemed start and run okay with good oil pressure and temperature readings when I purchased the car. I could not take the smashed Corvette for a run because the car was hit very badly in the back end. The impact was so intense that the rear drivers’ side half shaft was sheared inside the rear knuckle. Even the rear tie rod mounts were broken along with a bent spindle support rod on the drivers’ side.
To keep thing simple for my first hot rod project of, I felt that the Corvettes TPI injection system would be too complicated to hook up and take too much time to get working properly. I removed TPI injection system was removed from the Corvette engine. This is when I noticed that things are not looking too good in the engine department. The inside of the engine, underneath the intake manifold looked like a coal mine. Lots of carbonized chucks of oil. I wonder why anyone would let this happen. Changing the oil and filter is so important to the life of an engine. I realized at this point it would be a good idea to rebuild the engine. For now I was just interested in placing the engine and transmission into the chassis.
With the Corvette TPI intake off, the engine, I quickly disassembled it and bead blasted it clean. I do not like keeping too many parts in the shop that I have no use for. My shop is just too small for that and I do not want to become a keeper of stuff like some car builders. The TPI injection system was to be listed on eBay. It cleaned up very nicely and it looked terrific re-assembled. When I dismantled the wrecked 1986 Corvette Indy Pace car, I kept the entire engine wiring harness included the ECM. I took several pictures of the intake with wiring harness and listed it on eBay for one week. At the end of the week I was $500 richer. Not bad for a few hours of work.
Instead of using the Corvettes TPI system, I opted for a carbureted system. At a swap meet, I found a Holley Street Dominator intake. The Edelbrock carburetor came from eBay. I even found a couple of Mallory distributors. One distributor was an optical unit and the other had dual points. For the time being this was placed onto the old and very sad looking Corvette engine.
Now it came time to figure out how to place the engine in the 1929 Ford Roadster hot rod chassis.
Come back again next week, and I will continue with my quest of building the 1929 Ford Hot Rod.